Something that is guaranteed to put a smile on my face is when a classic Disney film is being played on television. Something that puts an even BIGGER smile on my face is when it’s one of my favorites, in this case, The Little Mermaid. I watched this film a total of two times in less than 24 hours, all thanks to ABC Family. I have seen this film more times than I can count, but this time around I decided to look out for the little things that often go unnoticed. I have this film practically memorized, so this was a fun task for me.
These are my thoughts while watching the first half of The Little Mermaid!
- Oh I love dolphins! I wish there was a dolphin character that was friends with Ariel in the movie.
- In a way, the opening song sort of predicts parts of film. It talks about the mysterious fathoms below, where an entire world is right under the ship.
- Did you guys know Mickey Mouse, Kermit, Donald, and Goofy are in the audience for the concert with composer Sebastian?
- All of the mermaid sisters have the same color shell and tail combo, but Ariel does not! Proving that she does not fit in. They also all have hair accessories, while Ariel just lets the red locks flow.
- Ariel sure knows how to appreciate the little things. In this case, a fork (or a dinglehopper!) Apparently, a fork is the most wonderful thing she has ever seen in her entire life.
- Where does Scuttle get the names for these things? A snarfblat and dinglehopper! He’s got quite the imagination.
- Oh no it’s the Sea Witch spying on Ariel! Did you hear Ursula mention she lived in the palace? I would LOVE to know her backstory! Why was she banished and exiled?
- Flounder, you should have just kept your mouth closed. I know you meant well but come on…
- You always want what you cannot have, don’t you know that yet King Triton?
- The best song of the entire movie, and arguably one of the best songs in Disney history is “Part of Your World!” I mean, I used to believe I was Ariel, and I would wrap my feet up and sing this song outloud. This song has so many possible meanings, and is truly inspiring.
- Ariel was the reason I used to want red hair.
- Anybody else completely in love with Eric’s nautical outfit? Max isn’t too bad either.
- Why wouldn’t Eric be excited about a HUMONGOUS statue of himself?
- Fun Fact: That statue of Prince Eric can be found at the Art of Animation Resort in Walt Disney World.
- I wonder if Eric was heavy when Ariel carried and swam with him?
- There’s something so romantic about their whole love at first sight! (or I guess, first song?)
- I’ve always wanted to find a rock like that where Ariel sings the reprise to “Part of Your World” and recreate it… something tells me it would be a little more difficult, however.
Stay tuned for Part 2! What do you guys think of The Little Mermaid?